Character traits and romance (Re: non-classical slash)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Sep 22 09:16:54 EDT 2004

> I'm re-reading it at the moment, and it seems to me the subtext (which is
> rapidly becoming text, she can't resist but quote) is that Howl is
> absolutely getting laid all over the place.

Though I have to admit that it could be that he's breaking things off
with most of them before it gets that far, because he's only interested
in them until they fall for him... so if they fall for him before its
consummated, presumably it never gets that far!

> I also always sort of assumed that Torquil was gay. Not CC though, and
> definitely not Howl; although given the right motivation, I bet he'd swing
> either way! (He's quite camp at certain points, no?)

Yes, and he has the kind of outlook that reminds me of a subset of gay
men of a certain generation...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining
at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby