Character traits and romance (Re: non-classical slash)

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Sep 21 22:54:58 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] Katarina Hjärpe wrote:
|That's a rather interesting interpretation of the text, and a somewhat
|surprising one concerning Howl, considering that he's described as being
|quite the heartbreaker. I had a feeling that if it wasn't a children's
|story, he'd be getting laid all over the place. :-)

I *know*, she wails, not understanding her reaction.  And I'm madly in
love with him, and I do believe he's getting laid all over the place,
and are you sure that English isn't your first language, because you
really have the idiom down pat.   ;)  But!  I try to imagine him
actually feeling passion, instead of just having sex or flirtations
because it's one way to entertain himself, and I completely fail.  I can
see all the women he meets (including me) and most of the men falling
for him.  I strongly suspect that both Michael and Calcifer are half in
love with him (do we any reason to suspect that Calcifer is male except
those are the pronouns to which Sophie defaults?).  But I just can't see
either Howl or Torquil feeling desire.  Meh, I'm probably insane.

|image of him up when he's become a cross between a guinea pig and Barbapapa.

Eee!  Barbacalcifer!

-deborah
--
"Buffy, duck."