Character traits and romance (Re: non-classical slash)

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 21 20:09:17 EDT 2004

> That's a rather interesting interpretation of the text, and a somewhat
> surprising one concerning Howl, considering that he's described as being
> quite the heartbreaker. I had a feeling that if it wasn't a children's
> story, he'd be getting laid all over the place. :-)

I'm re-reading it at the moment, and it seems to me the subtext (which is
rapidly becoming text, she can't resist but quote) is that Howl is
absolutely getting laid all over the place. It's so much fun to be reading
it again after more than ten years; it's like reading it almost completely
fresh.

I also always sort of assumed that Torquil was gay. Not CC though, and
definitely not Howl; although given the right motivation, I bet he'd swing
either way! (He's quite camp at certain points, no?)

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff
The School Magazine