OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Tue Sep 21 20:04:44 EDT 2004

On 22/9/04 6:28 AM, "Charles Butler" <hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk>
wrote:

> For a different point of view (that is to say, the POV is not that of the
> ill person) has anyone on the list read Sonya Sones's  autobiographical
> verse-novel *Stop Pretending: what happened when my big sister went crazy*?
> I've only dipped into it, but it looked pretty good. No idea whether it
> involves cutting, though.
>
> Charlie

I read it a couple of years ago. I've enjoyed all Sones' work (Her latest
one is called _One Of Those Hideous Books Where The Mother Dies_ !). From
memory, the book is very much about the narrator's reaction to her sister's
illness, which the family doesn't adequately acknowledge. It is
autobiographical. I don't recall any self-harm. However, there was a
spirited discussion on self-harm and books about it on adboooks, a yahoo
group dedicated to YA fiction that I am on, so when I get a minute I will
search the archives and see if I can find any other suggestions.

I remember reading _I Never Promised You a Rose Garden_ several obsessive
times as a young teenager (as I did _Go Ask Alice_) but have almost no
memory of it whatsoever!

Judith

Judith Ridge
Editorial Staff