OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:31:04 EDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> > That didn't seem to me like someone giving up, it seemed like someone
> > who was going somewhere she had decided for herself, and showing all
> > the courage in the world.  I'd say the message there was of
> > indomitable hope, rather than despair.
>
> Well, yes and no. Basically, she's given up on ever having a romantic
> relationship, and she knows she's going to be alone all her life, but
> she's going to do it anyway.

Uh. First I will say that I haven't read the book, and secondly I will say
that, since someone said the character was 20 at the end of the book, it
is completely reasonable that she would be saying, quite seriously and
non-melodramatically, "Yes, I'm going to be alone for the rest of my life,
and that will be fine," and that it will turn out to be false. Without any
mental imbalance, I just didn't happen to date anyone until I was 20, and
yes, at 19 I was saying things like "I will be alone for the rest of my
life. Perhaps I will be one of those little old ladies with cats. I like
cats."