Character traits and romance (Re: non-classical slash)

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 18:20:42 EDT 2004

> > > That's a rather interesting interpretation of the text, and a
> > > somewhat surprising one concerning Howl, considering that
he's
> > > described as being quite the heartbreaker. I had a feeling
that if
> > > it wasn't a children's story, he'd be getting laid all over
the
> > > place. :-)
> >
> > Well, yes. I think if I met Howl, I'd wonder if he was bi. :)
>
>Hey, being bi doesn't mean you're promiscuous any more than being gay or
>straight does! It just means that the partner's gender is Just Another
>Feature.
>
>    Irina (bi and happily monogamous)

Hear, hear! (Bi and currently un-anything-gamous.) Though in Howl's case,
"promiscuous" is a given, so the question of bi or not bi is the only one
that arises.

I had this idea of a story in which Calcifer like miss Angorian could take
human form (of either sex), and his contract with Howl was partly sealed
through sexual means, and Sophie eventually found out about all this... It
was sadly one of those stories I never managed to write, and now after
guineapig BarbaCalcifer I fear it's been shot all to hell. :-)

Katta