silly translations

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Sep 21 16:56:58 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/21/2004 2:25:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> Or how about the Hebrew subtitles for a British cooking show that gave a
> recipe for pears in wine, with garlic? (a mistranslation of "cloves").

Now, pears in wine with garlic doesn't sound so bad! It reminds me of a
wonderful menu my husband and I met with in Spain, in which things like prawns with
garlic sauce were translated "gambit to the garlic" and what not  (prawns
being something like "gamba" in Spanish, I think -- cognate of scampi, I
suppose). And, not a translation mistake, but a sign we met with in a would-be Olde
Fasshyionede place, "Beerf and Alef."

Helen Fchinfke