OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Sep 21 16:53:52 EDT 2004

On Tuesday, September 21, 2004, at 02:15 PM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> I ought to mention that when I
> first read it I thought it was autobiography, and that didn't seem to
> me to
> be impossible, so I have to assume that I supposed her to have become a
> writer, and maybe an artist, and maybe a person who looked the world
> in the
> face and spat in its eye.  Why not?  She'd been strong all the way
> through,
> why would she stop at the end?
>
> Minnow

I've gotten lost here, but if we're still talking about _I Never
Promised You a
Rose Garden_, it _is_ autobiographical, although Hannah Green is a
pseudonym.

In fact, stealing from the Brit:
-----------
Hannah Green

  (born 1932). U.S. author Hannah Green wrote sensitively about the
lives of disadvantaged characters in her novels and short stories.

Born Joanne Goldenberg on Sept. 24, 1932, in Brooklyn, N.Y., she was
raised in an Orthodox Jewish household. As a teenager she experienced a
mental breakdown and was institutionalized. She later recovered and
attended American University, receiving a bachelor's degree in
religion. After graduation she married a vocational rehabilitation
counselor, Albert Greenberg, and they moved to Colorado. She later
worked as a teacher's aide at a rural school.

Greenberg published her first book, a historical novel about the Jews
of York entitled The King's Persons, in 1963. Her second novel, I Never
Promised You a Rose Garden, was published a year later under the
pseudonym Hannah Green. Based on the author's own experiences as a
teenager, the novel depicts a young girl struggling with mental illness
and the doctor who treats her. In this book Green began to develop the
themes—isolation, communication, personal struggle, and survival—that
characterize many of her subsequent novels, including The Monday Voices
(1965), about a state case worker; In This Sign (1970), about a deaf
couple; and Of Such Small Differences (1988), about a deaf and blind
man. Green also wrote about the issue of individual faith, especially
in the short-story collection High Crimes and Misdemeanors (1979) and
the novel A Season of Delight (1981). Her later novels include No
Reck'ning Made (1993) and Where the Road Goes (1998). Her other
collections of short stories include Summering (1966) and Rites of
Passage (1971).

- In theory, there is no difference between theory and
   practice.  In practice, there is.

                                                - Richard P. Feynman