OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Sep 21 11:13:53 EDT 2004

> Is the 1964 classic case of self-injury to cope with (or as a result of) a
> mental crisis, *I Never Promised You A Rose Garden* by Hannah Green, within
> the YA scope (on account of being about a 16-year-old)?  That's assuming
> it's still possible to get hold of it; last time I know it was in print was
> in 1978 when I think they made a film of it.

I wouldn't recommend it, myself; I read it at 16, and because it ends
with the traditional mid 20th century belief that those with mental
illness will never have normal love relationships, as well as other mid
20th century beliefs about mental illness, it could be very damaging...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining
at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby