OT: 2 off-topic requests for book ideas

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 11:02:43 EDT 2004

deborah passed on a request:

>Requestor 2 asks 'can you think of any middle grade or YA books about
>cutting (either with razorblades or with anything else) or about other
>self-injury methods that are used as an emotional coping mechanism?'

Is the 1964 classic case of self-injury to cope with (or as a result of) a
mental crisis, *I Never Promised You A Rose Garden* by Hannah Green, within
the YA scope (on account of being about a 16-year-old)?  That's assuming
it's still possible to get hold of it; last time I know it was in print was
in 1978 when I think they made a film of it.

Minnow