AW: OT: rambles about translation

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 21 10:40:04 EDT 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, Belben Philip wrote:

> Bettina, replying to my query:

[snip business with rifles and shotguns - I dragged out my own
German-English dictionary to join in, but decided it was too
complicated for me]

> > Concering puns and counts, I only recently noticed that Sesame
> > Street had a Count who like to count - he's called Graf Zahl in
> > German, and that's not really funny (well, Zahl (number) sounds a
> > bit like Zahn (tooth) and he's a vampire). Is he called Count
> > Number? Or just Count?
>
> Someone else will have to answer this one, I'm afraid :-)
> I wouldn't put it past them to call him Count Count, though.

Close. He's the Count von Count.

But mostly we-all just call him "the Count".

> (Not to mention Norman Hunter's character Count Backwerdz (?sp))

Or Duncan Ball's Count Kahnt (also ?sp), who had a very privileged
childhood, so privileged that he even had servants to do his maths for
him, with the result that - wait for it, wait for it - Count Kahnt
can't count.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."