OT: Classical Slash

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Tue Sep 21 09:09:53 EDT 2004

Melissa, JOdel, Charlie:

>> >Fanfiction. Obviously.
>> LOL.  That's an amusing image...
>
> I was reading Aristotle's Poetics yesterday and came across a reference
> comedic versions of the legend of Orestes in which he and Aegisthus are
reconciled and go off the best of friends (presumably leaving Pylades
pouting in a corner - unless he took the opportunity to move in on
Clytemnestra) - and I thought, 'Classical Slash!' There's a conference
paper
> in there somewhere...

I wrote an article on fanfic a few years ago, wondering why Kirk/Spock is
'fanfiction' but Aeschylus' creative interventions into mythological
canon, or Vergil's into Homeric epic, aren't. It's on the web here:

http://www.barbelith.com/cgi-bin/articles/00000043.shtml.

Love, Ika (who spent her sixth-form years developing a complicated love
triangle narrative between Vergil, Augustus and Mark Antony based on the
Aeneid, the Sandman and _Antony & Cleopatra_)

--
"He had embarked upon a death wish-fulfilment roller coaster"
- Ruth Rendell, Diamond Dagger Award winner