2 off-topic requests for book ideas

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Sep 21 08:41:07 EDT 2004

>Requestor 2 asks 'can you think of any middle grade or YA books about
cutting (either with razorblades or with anything else) or about other
self-injury methods that are used as an emotional coping mechanism?'

I read a manuscript when I was working in publishing (three or four years
ago) in which a teenaged or preteen protagonist burns herself with
cigarettes.  It was a pretty good manuscript. It could be either "Stick
Figure" by Lori Gottleib (a true story about an anorexic girl) or "Bad Girl"
by Abigail Vona (girl sent to hostel for juvenile delinquents), or neither
of them. I read several books of a similar genre at the same time and
they've sort of mixed in my mind - these are the two I seem to remember as
being the best. Don't remember which of them had the cigarette burning
scenes, but I'd consider anorexia to be a form of self injury anyway.