OT: rambles about translation

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 15:41:32 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/20/2004 8:32:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

> And this one is pertty much impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't
> speak Scandinavian, but in a Clint Eastwood movie aired on Danish TV, "Get
> outta here you sonofabitch!" turned into "Ud, dit fjols!" The translation of
>
> the word "fjols" is simple enough - it means "fool" - but I'm at a loss on
> how to show just how unmacho a thing this is to say...
>
> Katta

*giggle* I get the impression that it is the sort of thing an old-fashioned
schoolmaster would say to a boy who had been throwing chalk or something. Is
that more or less right? "Sonuvabitch Minor, I have lost all patience with you!
Be off!"

Helen Schinske