rambles about translation

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Mon Sep 20 12:06:56 EDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 16:02, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> "The Lives of Christopher Chant" was tricky because in Hebrew, there
> is no way of distinguishing between life in singular and life in
> plural. Life is always plural, as are some others: water, sky. It
> ended up being "The Nine Lives of Christopher Chant", which I thought
> was something of a giveaway, but there was no better alternative.

The Dutch translator was handicapped by the fact that Charmed Life was
already "De negen levens" (The Nine Lives) so she, or her publisher
(from experience I'd say the translator doesn't get to choose the
title, but I only have experience with non-fiction), called it "De
twaalf werelden" (The Twelve Worlds).

(They're the one my nine-year-old DWJ reader likes best: she doesn't
care much for Dalemark and all the really good ones haven't been
translated yet)

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 14-Jun-2004