OT: rambles about translation

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Mon Sep 20 12:04:02 EDT 2004

On Monday 20 September 2004 17:20, Katarina Hjärpe wrote:

> du var tvåkönad" = "that time you thought you were a hermaphrodite."
> I have no idea what the translator was thinking.

>From a German detective series (probably "Der Alte") in Dutch:

"Ich brauche eine neue Klinge" (I need a new razor-blade) -> "Ik heb een
nieuw belletje nodig" (I need a new little bell). Probably because
"klingeln" is "to ring".

My father and I laughed about that one for days, every time that there
was mention of either shaving or ringing a bell.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/foundobjects/index.cgi        Latest: 14-Jun-2004