rambles about translation

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 20 11:00:07 EDT 2004

>"Howl's Moving Castle". Howling away at you. Howell is a name
in English -
>no homynym of the Hebrew word for "howl" is a name in Hebrew.
Something's
>got to give.

The Swedish version (which is the only one I've actually read, shame on me)
has Howl's name being "Ryt", which IMO means "roar" more than "howl", but
close enough. His real name is stated as "Ruthwen", and Mari calls him
"Ruth", which struck me as very weird indeed even when I was a kid. They
kept the "H. Jenkins" on the flower shop, however.

Katta