OT: rambles about translation

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Mon Sep 20 10:41:34 EDT 2004

Just a thought - there may not be a German equivalent for the distinction
between rifles and shotguns. There isn't in Hebrew: all long guns are
"roveh", short handheld guns are "ekdach". Different languages don't make
the same distinctions, which of course can also make life difficult for
translators. Eeylopes Owl Emporium became a shop for "nocturnal birds of
prey" in Hebrew, as Barn Owls, Eagle Owls, Tawny Owls, Small Owls and Snowy
Owls each have their own name. (As long as the word remains unqualified -
owl - the translation is "yanshuf". But the moment you specify which species
of owl, it can be any of a variety of different things other than yanshuf).