accuracy in/by DWJ was Re: Sirius B

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Sun Sep 19 10:13:52 EDT 2004

Minnow said...

> That sounds more like her, though: if she finds she got something *wrong*,
> it ought to be said so that people will know, and presumably not try to
> balance their own cello up against a chair on its point so that it falls
> over and gets damaged.  If this is the bit when Polly interrupts the
> rehearsal, and Tom is getting to her fast but without rushing, so he leans
> the cello against his chair, it does look a bit unstable as she wrote it.
> An armchair might be ok because the arm would catch it if it toppled
> slightly, but that was a tubular metal stacking chair.

Well, I learned the cello for a couple of years as a teenager, and in my
experience, balancing the cello in that fashion is quite common and
perfectly do-able - though, of course, you do then have to be careful not to
kick the chair!  If you're going to be more than a couple of steps from the
cello or are abandoning it for longer than a couple of minutes, you'd more
usually put it on the floor, balanced on its side, but for a few minutes
while you get your tissues out of your coat pocket or whatever, leaning the
instrument against your chair is usual.

And while we're on the subject of DWJ and music...if anyone thought the
school orchestra in AG was unlikely - it isn't.  I was *in* an orchestra
like that.  In fact, if anything, she toned the thing down!

Dorian.