*** SPAM *** Re: Sirius B (was: Digest V1 #880 then Why I love DWJ)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Sep 17 11:58:42 EDT 2004

>Jon
>> While the only astronomical meaning I know of for Zoi
>> is "zone of influence" (of a comet or star), however
>> the presence of the zoi on earth has left a trace as
>> there is a mineral Zoisite.
>I don't think I understand the second half of that sentence, Jon! Can you
>explain for an astronomical lunkhead? Actually, just how *do* comets
>influence things? Like magids? I mean, I know people used to believe that
>(1066 and all that) but what's the modern astronomical take?

I *think* Jon was applying a back-formation: we have a mineral called
Zoisite, therefore the zoi wuz 'ere.

>I've always assumed it was a reference to the Greek, zoe (life).

"It was a strange word for a strange thing", apparently, and no known
associations at the time (which as we all know means precisely nothing
because the mind of the author stores stuff and anything however improbable
may turn up from the unconscious at any time "->see subtextual analysis",
as Clute would put it).

Charlie, why the word SPAM in the subject-line?  Have you like me had a
spam from
"Ingrid Herron" <Mcclure at netscape.net>
with the subject-line
You need only 15 minutes to prepare for the night of love! barberry shareholder

query?

I know that this must have reached me because of my association with this
list, because this is the only place I use the address the spam was sent
to, and I wondered whether it was something Deborah ought to know about
(not that there's a lot to be done, at a guess, but...) and then did
nothing.  Did you get as far as the word and then blank on the whole
business, maybe?

Minnow