Historical Fantasy

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 22:13:32 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jon Noble wrote:

> Despite its pseudo-scientific explanation I'd regard
> Ash as fantasy rather than SF, and historical fantasy
> at that.

I wouldn't, and I think you're being misled by the setting, because I
can't think of any other reason to suppose that it's fantasy. (Yes,
even despite the sequence with Schroedinger's deer.)

> From Mary Gentle there is also 1610 which is
> a fantasy all about history (although it could also
> qualify as SF too - even more so than Ash - and has no
> real magic in it) (like the "editor" of the material
> in the book I'm awaiting the Russell Crowe - Angelina
> Jollie movie of it)

As I recall, she didn't say she was looking forward to it, just that
she had higher expectations of it than she did of the DiCaprio "Man in
the Iron Mask". Which isn't exactly glowing praise...  :)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."