AW: Magic as advanced technology

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 21:56:50 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Thursday, September 16, 2004, at 05:51 AM, Belben Philip wrote:

> > ISTR reading somewhere, I think a work of fiction, in which a
> > character flicked his eyes upwards when telling the truth and
> > downwards when lying.  Or something.
>
> IIRC, people look up to the left when doing one and up to the right
> when doing the other.  It has to do with which part of the brain is
> being accessed.

It was explained, in a book on body language I read, as one being
while-remembering-stuff and the other being while-making-stuff-up.

It also said that which direction is which depends on one's left-right
dominance: there was an anecdote about the author seeing some
politician on TV and being impressed by his unswerving honesty until
he realised the guy was left-handed...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."