Historical Fantasy

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Sep 16 21:16:47 EDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Judith Ridge wrote:

|Also on this subject, there's the YA novel "A Great and Terrible Beauty" by
|Libba Bray.

I rather liked this.  It was over the top, but it was pure gothic (well,
gothic with modern conceptions of youth and feminism, anyway), so
gothic was appropriate.  I don't think it was as ... queer as it wanted
to be, but it had some intriguing sexuality.  The magic was throwaway;
the strength of the book was in the character building and the gothic
nature.

-deborah
--
Can the gods catch flu?  I think I may have given it to all of them.
					-- chrestomanci