eyes was Magic as advanced technology

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu Sep 16 15:54:35 EDT 2004

I haven't really been following this thread, just popped in, but I noticed
this exchange:

>> You can also tell when someone is suppressing a smile, and I believe the
eyes factor into it.

A psychologist who has done extensive research on facial expressions,
emotions, lying and the supression of emotions is Paul Eckman. Eckman has
charted all possible combinations of facial muscle movements and the
correlating emotions they express. He has defined some very precise
distinctions between fake smiles and authentic smiles, and eye muscles
definitely come into play: eye smiles are harder to fake than mouth smiles,
and therefore more indicative of the true state of mind.