The Ghost of Marmalade

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 09:54:50 EDT 2004

Philip wrote:
> 	I am the ghost of [someone whose name I can't spell];
> 	This parrot cage goes on the table.
>
> Or something like that.
> Where does this come from?  What is it?  Where do I find the
> whole thing?
> Is it worth pursuing?

No :P

It's probably an echo of an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman joke. (translation for people with other forms of ethnic humour- the Scotsman is mean, the Irishman is stupid, the Englishman is usually normal, but occasionally stuck up. There are a range of jokes where the three man encounter a genie and their wishes come to grief in different ways, etc.) The jokes are mostly very corny and are popular with 7-10 year olds.

"There was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, and one day, they were out for a walk. They came across this cave, and the Scotsman said "I'll go in!" and he did. He walked down a long tunnel, and came across a table. On the table, was placed a five pound note. He smiled to himself, and bent to pick it up, when he heard a fearsome voice! "I am the ghost of Auntie Mabel, that five pound note stays on the table!" The Scotsman was so frightened that he ran out of the cave screaming. The Irishman went to find out what had frightened the Scotsman. He walked down a long tunnel, and came across a table. On the table, was placed a five pound note. He smiled to himself, and bent to pick it up, when he heard a fearsome voice! "I am the ghost of Auntie Mabel, that five pound note stays on the table!" The Irishman was so frightened that he ran out of the cave screaming. . Then the Englishman went in, and saw the five pound note. He bent to pick it up, and heard the voice again. "I am the ghost of Auntie Mabel, that five pound note stays on the table!". Unlike his comrades, he just smiled, and picked it up. He said in a loud voice, "I am the ghost of Davy Crocket, this five pound note goes in my pocket!" "

Not worth pursuing, no...

Jennifer