The Ghost of Marmalade

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Thu Sep 16 08:58:56 EDT 2004

Hi there.

Something has been bothering me, off and on, for a while.  At last it's
bothered me when I'm in a position to do an internet search (no luck) and
finally ask the list.

AFAICT, DWJ has written only two ghost stories as such: Time of the Ghost
and {Black|Aunt} Maria.  (No, time ghosts do _not_ count!)

In both of these, the characters quote, or misquote, a couplet, in such a
way as to suggest that everyone is expected to know it.

	I am the ghost of [someone whose name I can't spell];
	This parrot cage goes on the table.

Or something like that.

Where does this come from?  What is it?  Where do I find the whole thing?
Is it worth pursuing?

Philip.