Ichabod Hart

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 16 01:17:30 EDT 2004

> I definitely regard this as sf. The hero's uncle is an
> inventor, with three inventions that are significant
> to the story, the ornithocycle, a flying bicycle which
> in our world was something that was often attempted in
> the time the book was set (start of the 20th century)
> The stirling engine (in our world invented in the
> early 19th century) and Babbage type Difference
> Engine. I didn't get any of the feeling of a fantasy
> story from the book (as I do from Mary Gentle's books
> that are also arguably SF) James Roy said that the
> sequel will involve airships.
>
> Jon

Alternative history sf--yes, that makes sense. Thanks!

And for general interest, here's the Wikipedia definition of steampunk:

Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an
anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It
could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the
future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction,
fantasy or horror themes.

Judith