Historical Fantasy

Greeniegirl2 at aol.com Greeniegirl2 at aol.com
Wed Sep 15 17:24:28 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/15/2004 10:04:45 AM Central Daylight Time,
apm at alumni.uwaterloo.ca writes:
I have a vague memory of a book called Mairelon the Magician, by
Patricia C. Wrede, which was set in Regency-era England.  But I
read it so long ago now, I can't be sure. Does anyone else know
this book ?
Yep! This one would work as an example of this historical era fantasy thing.
As you said, it is set in Regency-era England where everything is the same but
magic actually excists (it is not very well known though). The sequel to it
is The Magician's Ward. I think people already mentioned this one but Sorcery
and Cecila (by Wrede and Caroline Stevermer-author of another book already
mentioned:College of Magics) fits the description very well. It is very good by
the way, and the way they wrote it is cool too. They played "the letter game" in
which two people make up characters who are writing to each other and the
first person decides a setting. Then the two people just go at it, without
discussing the plot with each other or anything (having both of the coorespondants
being writers probably made it easier to keep the plot going along). Wrede says
in the little author's note in the back, "As the opener of the letter
exchange, I was responsible for choosing a setting, as well as for defining my own
character. I decided on England just after the Napoleonic Wars, in an alternate
universe in which magic really worked, just to spice things up a little. I
knew Caroline shared my interest in both subjects, and I figured we would have a
lot of fun working out a more detailed background as we went along. Little did
I know what was in store!"

-Jordan