Historical Fantasy

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Wed Sep 15 16:57:24 EDT 2004

Thank you all for giving so many examples! Once again, the list has
impressed me - not that I'm surprised... ;-)

Interesting thing is, I have not read quite a number of the books you
suggested (yet), so maybe my blank was due to that. (And now I have a
new list of books to read!)...

Katta mentioned Nesbit (time travelling, but by magic) and Philip
Bradshaw; of them and of Tim Powers I thought in the meantime, too.
Roger mentioned Lammas Night and Two Crowns for America by Kurtz. I had
considered the Deryni books by Kurtz, but their world was too different
for the narrow frame I was searching in. Reconsidering, I think the
medieval world she describes, especially the power of the church feels
"historic" and the questions of magic, religion, spells and miracles she
dicusses actually are the kind of "what if" questions I would expect to
make historical fantasy interesting.

And concerning the "hype" Roger wrote:
> But in the UK it's entirely standard for something to be reported as
> "done for the first time" when what they mean is "done for the first
> time by an author with a big publicity budget"

You're right - it was a German programm, but it's also true here. And
especially so if Fantasy/SciFi is concerned (HP - the first school book
with magic in it, ever! But maybe HP is the reason that fantasy
elements/books are even noticed by mainstream or in this case literary
programms). The Austen metaphor seemed odd, because it sounded as if
Austen wrote historical novels. That would be like saying: Hey - A
Christmas Carol is historical fantasy, it's set in the past! But as
Tarja said the style of Jonathan Strange was Austen-like, it might
explain the idea behind it.

Bettina
glad to be on this list :)