Historical Fantasy

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Sep 15 12:15:05 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 liril at gmx.net wrote:
|So, if I define "historical fiction" as stories taking place in a
|recognizable past (mentioning some historical events, or taking care to
|describe a cerain era), what titles with fantasy elements can we find?

this is a great question, and I for one love atypical and historical
fantasy settings (much of steampunk is fantasy, though certainly the
genre encourages a shift away from what we would call real historical
fantasy).

But there's also an interesting converse.  Cynthia Voigt's entirely non
magical Kingdom series often get classified as fantasy because they take
place in an alternate history.  They have extremely well realized
countries and histories, based heavily on the history of genuine
countries, but the standard genre classification for books doesn't
include one for historical fiction not set in, well, history.

I don't have an obDWJ, other than to segue off into the third category,
fantasy novels which metatextually create a complex history and set
themselves up as historically based legend (Spellcoats, White Jenna).

-deborah
--
Hither then, swiftly, for I'm cold, I'm cold.
		-- _The Folk of the Air_