AW: Historical Fantasy

Belben Philip Philip.Belben at eon-engineering.com
Wed Sep 15 10:48:50 EDT 2004

[Lackey versus Stewart]

>>>merely carelessness.
>>
>> Or ignorance; perhaps nobody at Baen has ever read any Mary Stewart.
>> (What a shame, if so.)
>
> Er... Lackey's used lines from Shakespeare-era material before (Bedlam's
> Bard series). Unlike her poaching of Peter Whimsey for her Victorian era
> books, I suspect that the use of a line from Shakespeare in a title is
> completely legit use of a cultural artifact. :)

I don't think anyone is criticising her for taking a line from Shakespeare
to use as her title.  Lackey's carelessness lies in her failure to check
where the title had been used before: or she would have discovered that Mary
Stewart had already used that line _and_ the Tempest/Corfu connection in the
title of one of her books.  (MS explains the connection quite well in TRM.)

Philip.