Historical Fantasy

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 10:33:44 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> Tim Powers' recent book set in a WWII that has added fantasy
> elements might count, and eventually I'll remember its name.

_Declare_. But I'm ashamed to say I haven't read it yet, so I don't
know if it counts.

> *The Drawing of the Dark* is set in a first Siege of Vienna, sort
> of.  The *Anubis Gates* has bits of English history as the place
> things happen.

_The Drawing of the Dark_ I can't comment on, but _The Anubis Gates_
is subject to the consideration Katarina's pointed out: the
modern-man-in-history fantasy is a different beast from historical
fantasy proper.

What about _On Stranger Tides_ (Tim Powers does Pirates of the
Caribbean)?

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."