Historical Fantasy

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 15 10:18:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Philip wrote:

> > Hang on.  I've not read Ash, but why should being science fiction
> > disqualify a story from being fantasy?  Surely it's possible to
> > extrapolate science and introduce magic in the same story (Simak,
> > "The Goblin Reservation" springs to mind, but there's plenty more
> > around.)

> I read Ash a while ago, and some of what looks like magic is
> explained by technology, but I can't remember if it all is- or if
> the technology itself turns out to be magical.

It's fundamental to the plot that *everything* that looks like magic
is explained by technology, in a way that makes it science fiction
rather than fantasy - although once it starts getting into the
esoteric quantum mechanics stuff the narrator (who is a history PhD,
Jim, not a physicist) gives up and settles for the broad outlines.
(Which is dashed convenient for the author, come to think of it.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."