Historical Fantasy

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Sep 15 07:22:53 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 01:13:01PM +0200, Belben Philip wrote:

>Now that does sound like title-poaching.  Mary Stewart's book set on Corfu
>was called "This Rough Magic", wasn't it?

Yes, it was.

>I suppose they could both have got the title independently from the same
>source (memory is failing me.  Shakespeare somewhere?)

Yes; it's from _The Tempest_, act 5, scene 1, Prospero:

                    But this rough magic
I here abjure, and, when I have required
Some heavenly music, which even now I do,
To work mine end upon their senses that
This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I'll drown my book.

[Solemn music.]

>in which case it's
>merely carelessness.

Or ignorance; perhaps nobody at Baen has ever read any Mary Stewart.
(What a shame, if so.)

Oh, the Lackey _Rough Magic_ is also available free, because it was on
one of the cover CDs:

http://baen.ghostwheel.com/Baen5/This%20Rough%20Magic/index.htm