Historical Fantasy

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 07:15:06 EDT 2004

Philip wrote:
> Hang on.  I've not read Ash, but why should being science fiction disqualify
>  a story from being fantasy?  Surely it's possible to extrapolate science and
> introduce magic in the same story (Simak, "The Goblin Reservation" springs to
> mind, but there's plenty more around.)

I read Ash a while ago, and some of what looks like magic is explained by  technology, but I can't remember if it all is- or if the technology itself turns out to be magical. If all the fantasy elements turn out to be tech, I'd be less likely to call it a good example of a historical fantasy.
I agree that you can get science/fantasy books. (I mostly think of them as either SF or fantasy depending on the feel of the story, but that's a personal thing.)
Jennifer