Historical Fantasy

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Sep 15 07:10:29 EDT 2004

Jennifer:

>Bettina wrote:
>>  Clarke had done something new and unique by combinig
>>  historical fiction and fantasy "like LotR written by Jane Austen".
>>
>>  Apart from that being a very very strange metaphor, I thought
>>  sponatously: That's not true, that has been done before.
>>
>>  So, if I define "historical fiction" as stories taking place in a
>>  recognizable past (mentioning some historical events, or
>>  taking care to describe a cerain era), what titles with fantasy elements
>>  can we find?
>
>I think you're right. Several of the ones I thought of, like A
>College of Magics, are more like alternate pasts- they are set in
>what looks like the past of our world with magic, but the future of
>the book would not lead to our world, if that makes sense. Mary
>Gentle's Ash should qualify, though, (unless it's science fiction).
>Judith Merkle Riley's books. Melissa Scott and Lisa Barnett's Armor
>of Light [*]  I'm sure I've read one by John M Ford set in the
>renaissance with magic.

_The Dragon Waiting_, but that's definitely alternate history - there
may be others he's written also.  I kept thinking alternate history
ones as well, but then remembered Rosemary Sutcliff's _The Queen
Elizabeth Story_, which is older than a lot of these.  Just
reinforcing (again again) the point below (which hardly needs
validating, of course).

>Anyway, the presenter was wrong.

Hallie.