Historical Fantasy

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Sep 15 05:50:03 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 11:31:34AM +0200, Bettina wrote:

>So, if I define "historical fiction" as stories taking place in a
>recognizable past (mentioning some historical events, or taking care to
>describe a cerain era), what titles with fantasy elements can we find?

_Sorcery and Cecelia_ (Wrede/Stevermer), and the related works (Mairelon
the Magician, Magician's Ward, The Grand Tour), seem like a good
starting point.

But in the UK it's entirely standard for something to be reported as
"done for the first time" when what they mean is "done for the first
time by an author with a big publicity budget" - according to the BBC,
the first magical school stories were written by Rowling.

Roger