Slushpile...

Tanaqui Weaver cen at caption.org
Fri Sep 10 02:29:01 EDT 2004

> Although, I wouldn't expect the publisher (any publisher for that matter,
> not just the Asimov magazine) would put it on their website; it's just not
> good manners, nor professional behaviour. Whether or not it actually did
> come from their slushpile--as I say, haven't a clue.

No-one seemed to have a problem taking Jim Theis' entire novel... it was
rejected for glaringly obvious reasons, but has now been widely read (it
is a classic of turkey readings at cons, and has spawned drinking games).

A few anonymous snippets would be perfectly acceptable as part of a
submissions page (what to do/what not to do). The SF genre is famously
acerbic; while other fields may have the Bulwer-Lytton

NESFA archives a number of recursive slushpile stories.

There's a slight variant of the list you forwarded at
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~eli/misc/slushpile.html
(350 degree soybean oil bath, anyone?)

and another variant here
http://www.jumbojoke.com/000151.html

We first had this provenance fight in OUSFG in 1993, when this newsletter
http://www-pnp.physics.ox.ac.uk/SF/misc/newsletter-93tt2.html
cited the list... and Dave Clements just stumbled across it in e-space,
as well. (I think our Context and Burroughs Workshop bits are better ;-)  )