grouse (was "cool" dates back to WW2)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 12:48:16 EDT 2004

Paul remarked:

>On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Ros Gross wrote:
>
>> And it does sound as though it's a specifically Melbourne word
>> (along with "bathers" instead of "bathing suit" or "cozzie" used
>> elsewhere in Oz--
>
>Sorry, are you saying that "bathers" is a specifically Melbourne word?
>
>This is news to me, as it would be to various members of my family -
>none of whom, so far as I can recall, have ever spent any significant
>amount of time in Melbourne.

And I am thinking "Melbourne, Derbyshire, or Melbourne, Yorkshire?" because
I have for certain heard this in England.  And in case anyone is wondering,
*before* the Australian soaps arrived here, so I doubt it was on account of
those.

Come to that, a quick check in *The Picts and the Martyrs* shows it being
used by Nancy Blackett in England in 1943.

ObDWJ: Are there many Great Aunts Maria in children's fiction?

Minnow