grouse (was "cool" dates back to WW2)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Mon Sep 6 07:10:53 EDT 2004

Emma wrote:

> I have never heard this word used as meaning cool! In fact I don't know if
> I've ever heard it said out loud
> at all. Admittedly I've never watched Neighbours, live in Brisbane and
> wasn't around in the 70s, but it
> must  have been a fairly short lived word not to escape its city of birth!
> I'm off to query Melbournites I
> know now...

I just went and asked my girlfriend, who's lived in Melbourne all her
(long, long*) life. She says that she sometimes says "grouse", but as a
nice middle-class girl it is always sort of in inverted commas (the way I
use Yorkshire dialect words, having only moved here 5 years ago from the
bad South). The place I've mostly come across the word is as used by the
working-class Communists, Bert and Cec, in Kerry Greenwood's Phryne Fisher
novels, which are, apparently (my gf also just told me) *all* set in 1929,
which doesn't seem at all possible but does fit in with the 1924 citation
[someone - sorry, can't remember who] found.

Love, Ika

*She's 55 <g>

--
"He had embarked upon a death wish-fulfilment roller coaster"
- Ruth Rendell, Diamond Dagger Award winner