Spats (was Re: looking for different songs (not at all on topic, really))

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 06:07:43 EDT 2004

Paul wrote:
> As seen in various Disney cartoons - they're the things Donald Duck's
> Uncle Scrooge wears over the shoes he doesn't have.

Also as worn by Bertie Wooster- mostly tasteful pale grey, but I think there was one story where he found some wonderful lemon yellow ones, only Jeeves disapproved of them. There's a Wodehouse collection of stories called Young Men In Spats, from 1936.
I think they vanished along with the servants (or laundries for the gangsters) who kept them clean and starched.
Jennifer