"cool" dates back to WW2. how cool is that?

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 6 01:31:03 EDT 2004

Quoting Judith Ridge <Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au>:

> On 3/9/04 11:17 PM, "Ros Gross" <roslyngross at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Do any other Aussies remember how "grouse" meant "great" or "cool" back in
> the
> > late 70s? At least, it was used by high school kids back then in
> Melbourne.
> > Maybe it was used elsewhere as well?
> >
> > Ros
> >

> Grouse is definitely a Melbourne/Victorian word. I never heard it in Sydney
> growing up in the 70s. You hear it on Neighbours, but not on Home and Away
> (well, I assume not, I haven't watched it in donkey's years, not even to
> find out who got shot before the Olympics!).
>
> Judith

I have never heard this word used as meaning cool! In fact I don't know if I've ever heard it said out loud
at all. Admittedly I've never watched Neighbours, live in Brisbane and wasn't around in the 70s, but it
must  have been a fairly short lived word not to escape its city of birth! I'm off to query Melbournites I
know now...

Emma :)