"cool" dates back to WW2. how cool is that?

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 20:19:10 EDT 2004

Grouse always seemed to me to be one of those rather
old fashioned australianisms, that by the '60s when i
was growing up was little used. Others would be things
like "bottler" and "bonzer", "dinkum" was still used
in the expression "fair dinkum", while "buckley's" of
even older vintage was I term that I never heard until
the '70s, perhaps as that one originated in Victoria
it hadn't made it over the Murray yet. The oldest
citeation for grouse in the dictioanries at school is
from a 1924 newspaper, and it makes no guess as to its
origin.

Jon

--- "Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC)" <Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com>