Spats (was Re: looking for different songs (not at all on topic, really))

Roger Burton West roger at
Fri Sep 3 19:32:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 04:06:36PM -0700, Ven wrote:

>Spats are shoes? All this time I thought they
>were some kind of fancy trousers! Dearie dearie
>me. May I ask what kind of shoes?

Spats cover the instep and ankle; they're worn over shoes to keep mud
and other spray off them. It's short for "spatterdash". Not a shoe at
all, therefore, but worn on the foot. (I think "gaiters" are the same

To unsubscribe, email dwj-request at with the body "unsubscribe".
Visit the archives at

More information about the Dwj mailing list