looking for songs and random look-alike

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Sep 3 13:47:45 EDT 2004

Paul wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Aimee Smith wrote:
>
>> (Ponders briefly and wonders whether, if it wasn't obvious, whether
>> she should give herself away...)
>>
>> Spot on, Minnow! 'Cool' was the word
>
>Well, of course. I was being dishonest to the extent that I knew
>perfectly well that "cool" was the word you had in mind, but I really
>don't see anything age-specific about it. It's been in use for decades
>- in fact, if anything, I think of it as *old* slang: when you said
>you were giving away your age, it never occurred to me that you really
>meant you were giving away your *youth*.

I was being disingenuous, because the response I was expecting to
pre-empting 'cool' for yoof was someone in each decade of life to protest
that 'cool' had been around as long as s/he had...

Though my father quite seriously asked once what 'cool' meant, and having
been carefully told, said, "Ah, so when you say cool you mean what people
my age used to mean when we said hot."

He does it to annoy, because he knows it teases.

Minnow