looking for different songs (not at all on topic, really)

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at us.kline.com
Fri Sep 3 02:50:30 EDT 2004

> Maybe the version I heard in the early seventies and cruelly shared
> involved Al Capone rather than Roy Rogers because the song itself had
> changed, from "Pardon me boy" (racist, perhaps) to "Pardon me pal".
>
> Oh well.  Not having any book of Irving Gordon lyrics (nor
> yet any Glenn
> Miller album) in the house, I can't easily check on that possibility.
> Anyone feel like googling on the off-chance?

Not googled, but from personal experience - the original song lyric is "Pardon me boys".  Plural becuase there was two of them.  The Nicholas Brothers in fact, being sung to by Dorothy Dandridge.  I met Fayard Nicholas last month and he said that Glen Miller hated that song when he first heard it.

I don't think any racist undertone was there.

Way off topic now :)

Byeeee,
Kylie