"cool" dates back to WW2. how cool is that?

Amy Lee Bennett amy.bennett at simmons.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:39:56 EDT 2004

I'm only 24 myself, but I was pretty sure that "cool" is not a *recent*
slang word... so I checked online, and got this from
dictionary.reference.com:
--Amy

Our Living Language: The usage of cool as a general positive epithet or
interjection has been part and parcel of English slang since World War
II, and has even been borrowed into other languages, such as French and
German. Originally this sense is a development from a Black English
usage meaning “excellent, superlative,” first recorded in written
English in the early 1930s. Jazz musicians who used the term are
responsible for its popularization during the 1940s. As a slang word
expressing generally positive sentiment, it has stayed current (and
cool) far longer than most such words. One of the main characteristics
of slang is the continual renewal of its vocabulary and storehouse of
expressions: in order for slang to stay slangy, it has to have a
feeling of novelty. Slang expressions meaning the same thing as cool,
like bully, capital, hot, groovy, hep, crazy, nervous, far-out, rad,
and tubular have for the most part not had the staying power or
continued universal appeal of cool. In general there is no intrinsic
reason why one word stays alive and others get consigned to the
scrapheap of linguistic history; slang terms are like fashion designs,
constantly changing and never “in” for long. The jury is still out on
how long newer expressions of approval such as def and phat will
survive.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cool