looking for songs (vaguely on topic, really)

Ika blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Thu Sep 2 07:56:46 EDT 2004

Ven wrote:

> Saviour Machine David Bowie, from the "Man who
> Sold the World" album. Apparently referencing
> Isaac Asimov's multivac. The title track alos
> sounds SF inspired, any ideas?

The only inspiration I've heard of for the Man who Sold the World is the
nursery rhyme about the man on the stairs who wasn't there ("we passed
upon the stairs/ we spoke of was and when/ although he wasn't there...").
(Hmm. The not-there-on-the-stairs man shows up again in Sapphire and
Steel, though, so there might be a link in the British SF imagination, or
a common earlier SF source.)

> Oh and I stand corrected about Little Tin Soldier
> WRITTEN by Donovan RECORDED by the Small Faces.

Donovan recorded it too - I had it on an album when I was a bairn.

Love, Ika

--
*Rrrrrip!* I tore up the [wedding] photos, all of them. Then I gathered up
the pieces - like multicoloured confetti. Oh yes, irony stung. But I