looking for different songs (not at all on topic, really)

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 06:27:39 EDT 2004

Paul wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> There's a truly horrible shaggy mog story involving a stray kitty
>> that got into Capone's appartment and took a pair of his spats
>> apart, leaving them in tatters, so he sends the boys out to go find
>> that damn' stray and...
>The version of that joke that my father tells begins with Roy Rogers
>checking into a posh hotel and leaving his new shoes out to be shined.
>- which has the advantage that punchline works better, but the
>increasingly crippling problem of people who miss the rest of the joke
>because they're busy wondering who this "Roy Rogers" person is.

Maybe the version I heard in the early seventies and cruelly shared
involved Al Capone rather than Roy Rogers because the song itself had
changed, from "Pardon me boy" (racist, perhaps) to "Pardon me pal".

Oh well.  Not having any book of Irving Gordon lyrics (nor yet any Glenn
Miller album) in the house, I can't easily check on that possibility.
Anyone feel like googling on the off-chance?

>> For what it's worth, there's a life of Hendrix that mentions him
>> recording Bob Dylan's "Al Along the Watchtower".  Will you accept a
>> typo, Paul?
>Hmm...

Funnily enough, I didn't  *think* you would.

:-)

Minnow