food translation

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Oct 29 17:11:57 EDT 2004

Jon quoted...

> From the Australian Woman's Weekly Cookbook (so
> probably a pretty traditional recipe);

<recipe snipped for space>

Y'know, that's pretty much a bass-ackwards version of the recipe I have
(perhaps because yours is from Down Under?  Mine's from the WI cookbook,
IIRC. :-) ).

My version goes:

Melt 4oz of butter and 12oz of granulated sugar in a double boiler with the
finely grated rind and the juice of 3 lemons, stirring occasionally until
the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved.  Strain in 4 eggs, lightly
beaten together.  Continue to stir till thick, then jar.  (Makes 1.5-2lb and
takes about 1/2 an hour.)

Or maybe whether you put the butter first or last is the difference between
lemon curd and lemon butter?

Yumsome stuff, whatever.

Dorian.